You want to seamlessly share Electronic Health Record (EHR) information across your machines. An interoperable health IT environment makes this possible. But is it achievable?
In this article we will discuss the complexity of EHR interoperability and how revenue cycle automation tools can improve interoperability, while decreasing operational costs and increasing productivity.
EHR Interoperability: A Major Challenge in Health IT
According to the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS), “In healthcare, interoperability is the ability of different information technology systems and software applications to communicate, exchange data, and use the information that has been exchanged.”
When data can transfer among EHR systems and healthcare stakeholders, hospitals can achieve better workflows. Interoperable environments improve the healthcare industry—giving the right people access to the right data at the right time.
While the benefits of interoperability (e.g. increased efficiency, reduced ambiguity) are clear, creating an interoperable IT environment is challenging. Whether teams are dealing with incompatible EHR systems or complicated regulations, barriers make interoperability difficult to achieve.
Databound Healthcare Solutions Prioritizes Interoperability
At Databound, we build products and services that improve system-to-system communication for popular EHR systems. Some systems deliver a high level of interoperability, while others do not. In these instances—when integration points do not exist between two systems—Databound fills the gap.
How EMUE Improves Interoperability
Consider how one Databound solution, EMUE, enhances interoperability for healthcare facilities. EMUE automates record updating and improves system-to-system communication.
EMUE facilitates interoperability by giving organizations a channel where managers, analysts, and leadership can prescribe processes to solve data migration and maintenance issues without waiting for EHR vendor(s) to provide new or upgraded software. EMUE can:
- Retrieve information from third party websites and load that information into other systems.
- Scrub charge information from one system, transform the information into an HL7 file, and feed the information into a second system where claims are generated.
- Extract information from a legacy application and load that information in a new system.
- Create test patients during system updates or upgrades.
- Enable hospitals to create meaningful reports that were previously unobtainable (because of the manual labor associated with the data extraction).
EMUE can be used for data entry, data extraction, comparisons, report creation, and many other common healthcare tasks.
Benefits of Increased Interoperability
Databound can interface with many different applications. Here are two ways hospitals directly benefit from increased interoperability.
- Reduced data costs. When hospitals automate tedious and time-consuming processes between two disconnected systems, they reduce manual work. Since EMUE can run unattended—automatically pulling data out of a system—users save time and money.
- Increased productivity. As a result of increased interoperability, healthcare facilities can shift their focus from mundane work to tasks that require human attention. Repetitive tasks can be completed automatically through the integrated process. And since EMUE enters data accurately, facilities minimize risk associated with human error.
At the Forefront of EHR Interoperability
In the current healthcare environment, EHRs continuously compete for market share, leading to system changes and upgrades that impact the daily lives of business analysts as well as IT professionals. EHR interoperability is a major challenge in healthcare, but luckily, interoperable health IT environments are becoming more achievable.
With solutions like EMUE, IT teams can improve system-to-system communication, decrease operational costs, and increase productivity, all while improving the patient experience. Patients benefit when hospitals seamlessly share data among authorized practitioners.
Databound Healthcare Solutions automates and streamlines hospital revenue management tasks and business processes to give our customers more efficient operations and increased revenue. Visit our website to learn more.